(A short history of the parish is also available on Buffalo as an Architectural Museum.)
St. Andrew's Church began in very humble circumstances. In 1873 a Sunday School for German children was established on the third story over a saloon at Michigan and Genesee Streets in Buffalo.
Two years later a frame chapel known as St. Paul's Free Church was erected at the corner of Genesee and Spruce Streets to serve as a mission of St. Paul's Cathedral. In 1884 the German language services and Sunday School ended.
Aided by the Brotherhood of Saint Andrew, in 1886, Reverend John Huske of St. Paul's reopened the dilapidated Spruce Street building as Saint Andrew's Chapel. Regular evening services began.
In 1887, Reverend Charles Henry Brent came to St. Paul's Cathedral as an assistant, and was assigned to St. Andrew's Chapel. Under his direction the chapel was reorganized as a mission for English speaking people. During his one-year tenure, Mass was celebrated each Sunday and vestments were used.
With the coming of Father Henry Sommerville on Low Sunday, 1891, a new chapter of Saint Andrew's history began. On July 27, 1891, Saint Andrew's Parish was incorporated with 72 families and 129 communicants. The vestry obtained property at 166 Goodell Street in February 1892 for the construction of a brick church building. On Thanksgiving Day of that year, the last Mass was celebrated in the Spruce Street Chapel. The following Sunday, being within the octave of Saint Andrew's Day, witnessed the first Mass in the new building. Beginning from that Mass until today, worship followed the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Contrary to then current practice, the church's seats were free to parishioners and visitors.
Under the guidance of Bishop Charles Henry Brent, the Goodell Street property became Saint Philip's Parish. Saint Andrew's was relocated to the present site near the end of the Main Street trolley line. It became a part of the rapidly developing North Main Street - University district.
The last Mass in the Goodell Street church was held February 6, 1921. Until a chapel in the undercroft was completed at the present St. Andrew's site in September 1922, services were held at Christ Chapel of Trinity Parish.
The cornerstone for the present church was laid by Bishop Brent on June 10, 1927. The completed structure was dedicated as a thank offering for his life and witness. Low Sunday, 1928 witnessed the first Mass in the new church.
In later years, various improvements were made to the building. A free-standing High Altar of Florido Rosa marble was installed, both chapels were enhanced, and a columbarium was added for the entombment of ashes.
St. Andrew's is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, the church building is also used by One in the Spirit, a Pentecostal ministry.